So here is what I've been looking at so far....
- A list of handicraft & life skills to teach your children. Ms. Mason believe all children should be taught these skills. It's nice to have a list like this to refer to.
- Copywork is also important to the CM learning style. I need to start teaching Happy how to write neatly and how to form his letter. On the SCM website there is a spot to download pdf files to practice copywork with hymns, poetry, and scripture. Since I'm planning to implement circle time & have hymn, poetry, & scripture time, I think this will be a great site to use.
- I'm also thrilled to see a booklist for the early years (ages 3, 4, & 5). One thing that has been sorely lacking here is more read aloud time, especially for Happy.
- There are three freebies on the site & I've downloaded them all. I also printed Education Is which seems to be right what I needed right now. It discusses Ms. Mason's philosophy that "Education is a atmosphere, a disciple, a life." I've started reading it. It's excellent. And free.
- The second freebie is called Masterly Inactivity. This discusses disciple & consistency - something I think all mothers struggle with - at least I do. I have this one downloaded & will print it out to read once I get more ink for my printer.
- The last freebie I actually downloaded and printed a while ago. It's called The Swedish Drill Teacher & is the physical education program that Ms. Mason used in her own school.
I may have mentioned here or on my family blog that I will be using SCM science curriculum this year called 106 Days of Creation. It's an inexpensive program & it's designed to be used with a multi-level of students which is perfect for me. It does add in Considering God's Creation for older students so Lego-Man will at least be using that & possibly Conductor as well.
On my wish list from SCM are a few things:
- All-Day Charlotte Mason Seminar ($54.95) which is a 3-DVD set explaining how the CM method works, a 4th DVD called Laying Down the Rails which discusses good habit training, and a seminar notebook.
- Laying Down the Rails Package which is a DVD, CD, and book ($37.95) that goes over how to instill good habits. If I buy the first one, I wouldn't get this one since it's included.
- Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education that includes a DVD & book. The DVD is a recorded workshop that goes over the book.
I really enjoy the SCM site. There are tons of ideas on there for planning. If you are at all interested in the CM style of teaching, you should go check it out.