Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Days #168-169/175 Days


Two days were spent on lots of 4-H. This is our first year in 4-H. I've wanted to participate in the past but the schedule never really seemed to work. We joined up with a group of friends in April. The majority of the children in the group are homeschooled and know each other so it's really just a fun play date for the most part.

We managed to get our paperwork in just in time to put in individual projects in at the state fairs. This has certainly been a learning experience for us!

Monday we spent about two hours at our leaders home filling out all the paperwork needed to enter the projects. Lego-Man and Conductor are regular 4-H members and had the ability to enter 10 projects each. I managed to convince Lego-Man to enter five and Conductor did four (I think). There isn't a ton of writing needed, but it needs to be done by the children (I love that rule) as much as possible. I would write a lot of it out for them to ensure correct spelling and they would copy. 

Each project needed a "judging sheet" that had basically demographics of the child and the project name. The second sheet was a "Life Wheel Card." Every project uses certain skills to create. This card highlights those skills (literally - as the front as a "wheel" and the skills are highlighted). The back is what got to the boys. They had to list the skills used and what the learned making that project.

Happy is a "Cloverbud." These are children ages 5-8. They are basically "junior" members. Happy still doesn't write much or well so I simply had him write his first name and I wrote the rest for him. He was able to enter five projects. The Cloverbuds can enter the same number as their "4-H age." While Happy turned six in January 2010 for 4-H he's still considered 5. It's the age they are as of December 2009.

Tuesday we spent over four hours at the fair getting our booth set up. Three families (including ours) were able to display individual projects. We had reserved a space that would hold 80 projects. We just managed to squeeze in 70. The young girl who put it together was amazing! We just handed things and bounced ideas off each other. The boys did help and it was certainly a learning experience.

We'll be attending the fair (for the first time ever I might add) next week. I can't wait to see how they did on ribbons. I hear that our booth did well, but I haven't been in to see it yet.

Lego-Man's Projects:

  • Tie-dyed T-shirt
  • Photo collage of "My Chickens"
  • Photo collage of "Home" (robin & nest)
  • Photo of flower with bee on it
  • Photo of a tree blooming
Conductor's Projects:
  • Tie-dyed T-shirt
  • Tin-punched cat
  • Photo of baseball batting helmets
  • Photo of a jack-o-lantern
Happy's Projects:
  • Tie-dyed T-shirt
  • Photo collage "Me & Odie"
  • Photo collage "My Home"
  • Photo "My Mom" (Yup, I let him enter a photo of me.)
  • Photo "My Car"

1 comment:

The Bertone's said...

I hope you can get some pic's of their stuff.. sounds really cool. I am thinking of putting my kids in 4H when we come back. :)