My sister and nephew came up to spend the day with us today and we worked on our music and art together. This has been a nice to do as it's helping to make sure these two subjects are adequately covered. Today we studied the harp, the double bass, Beethoven, and John Constable.
- Read about the harp in Story of the Orchestra
- Listened to Track 18 to hear a harp being played
- Listed four things about a harp on the chalk board & the boys created a mini-book
- Read about the double bass in Story of the Orchestra
- Listened to Track 17 to hear a double bass being played
- Listed four things about the double bass on the chalk board & the boys created a mini-book
- Read about Beethoven in Meet the Great Composers and Story of the Orchestra
- Listened to two tracks to hear some of his music
- Created a notebook page about Beethoven
- The boys did a coloring page while they were being read to.
- Watched Lesson 7 from "God & the History of Art" about the Gothic Period
- Watched "Fundamentals Part 2" from the "Beginning Drawing" lessons and drew a teapot.
- Plumb line
- Negative space
- Watched two videos on YouTube about John Constable's paintings
- Read about Constable in Discovering Great Artists
- Created a "cloudscape" painting
And the final products:
We used blue painters tape to tape all four sides to the table. Once they were dry we pulled that off and ended up with the crisp "frame." The clouds didn't quite work as we had hoped, but it was still fun to paint.