Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day #128/175 Days - Field Trip (Part 2)

After we visited the Forefather's Monument, we headed in to downtown Plymouth. We found a great parking spot central to everything else we wanted to do and started out.

Our next stop was to the Pilgrim Hall Museum. Sadly we weren't allowed to take any photos inside. I didn't think to ask if I could take some without a flash until long after I arrived home. I didn't even take any outside the museum. But I did snag this photo off their website:

halltiny.JPG (47036 bytes)

This is a great and very inexpensive museum right in the center of downtown. It houses many real artifacts (as in not reproductions of things). What I really liked out this museum was how they worked to make it child-friendly. 

When we arrived we were greeted by a sweet older woman at the front desk. After paying admission (for my boys & I to get in, it was less than I paid just for me to go to Plimouth!), each boy was handed a clipboard, pencil, and a Scavenger Hunt to complete. If they brought back the clipboard, they would get a prize (it was a free postcard). This helped keep them engaged - even when they didn't want to do it!

In the basement there were even more artifacts along with a short 15 minute video about the history of the Pilgrims and Native People.

All-in-all this was a great place to check out - especially after having been at Plimouth Plantation the day before.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Loved seeing all the pictures. One day was definitely not enough to see everything when we went last year. Hoping to get back there, I will keep in mind their homeschool days. Looks like you all had a blast!