Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day #128/175 Days - Field Trip (Part 4)

I should preface this with one thing...I love old cemeteries. I'm not sure why, but I do. I could have spent far more time wondering through Burial Hill taking photos and reading gravestones. However, we had four very tired boys with us so we kept it focused. Our goal was to find William Bradford's grave.



The boys spotted this old Powder House from the parking lot and immediately raced up to check it out. Just a funny aside...I had pulled over so my sister & I could find our bearings when we realized we had found the very spot we were looking for.



This grave is for Mr. Thomas Clark age 98 who died in 1697. He was Mate on the ship Anne that carried many Pilgrims a few years after the original ones landed. This stone was erected in his memory by his descendants in the late 1800s. 


The original fort that the Pilgrims built in the village stood on this spot. There is a replica of this fort at Plimouth Plantation. It's the one were Happy was taking target practice with his stick.


Conductor was the lucky boy who found William Bradford's grave site.





The view from the top

All in all we had a fantastic time in Plymouth. It was some long days, but well worth it. 

No comments: