Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Peaks-Kenny State Park Field Trip

Today we headed over near to where I grew up. However, I never did go to this state park as a child. We always swam at Sebec Lake at the “free side.”
blog18
I do like all the fun things you can do at state parks rather than just swim. This particular park had some very good climbing trees and a playground that the kids played on for a bit when we first arrived.

We then decided to go walk a trail. Unfortunately, we did not have a map. Fortunately, we did not get lost. Unfortunately, we did not plan for a hike. Fortunately, we all survived. We ended up going on about a three mile hike through the woods. I really did enjoy it and I think the kids did too, but they really wanted to swim even though the water temp was a chilly 76 degrees!

Whenever I hike, I am always on the lookout for interesting things growing. This time around I told the kids I’d give them “10 points” for anything really interesting they found. This kept them interested in their surroundings for about 10 minutes, but I still found lots of neat things along the way. Here’s a sample:
blog2
blog3
blog8
blog10
blog14      
My favorite find though was this tree….
blog4
Of course, once I pointed this out all the kids wanted to climb up as quick as they could – so we had to stage a photo op.
blog5
We, of course, took the chance to stage a few more photos at various points along the trail.
blog6
blog7
blog12
blog13
I found it really cool how all the trees were growing up and around the rocks – from small to really large.
blog15
blog16
And yes, we did let the kids swim after the hike (which took us two hours)…
blog17
blog19


Day #2/175 Days

No comments: