All excited to start co-op. Okay, not really but still cute!
- Read page 80 in Story of the Orchestra about the triangle
- Listen to Track 33
- Watch this video on YouTube
- Listed four things about triangles on the white board and created a mini-booklet
- Read pg. 82 in Story of the Orchestra about the glockenspiel
- Watched this video on YouTube
- Listed four things about the glockenspiel on the white board and created a mini-booklet
- Read from Lives of the Musicians pgs. 87-89 about George Gershwin
- Read from the Young Composers book as well pgs. 173-175
- Boys colored a picture of Gershwin while being read to
- Listed four things about Gershwin on the white board and created notebook page (pg. 12 in this free set) listing birth/death dates, famous songs, where he was born, his name, and pasted a few photos on it as well.
- While the boys created their notebook page on Gershwin we listened to Rhapsody in Blue.
- We continued with our drawing lessons via Barry Stebbing videos. We continued with Portraits and Anatomy and learned to draw the human figure. Here are the boys offerings:
- They also drew the profile of a clown and a cartoon character called "sleepy."
- Our artist today is Henri Matisse.
- Read about Matisse in Art in Story pgs. 258-259
- Read Drawing with Scissors - a picture book about Matisse
- Watched this video of Matisse drawing with scissors on YouTube.
- Listed things learned on the white board and created an artist biography page.
I find images online and paste them in to Word to create these pages. I shrink them down (just hold the control key and grab the corner of the photo and the dimensions will stay while you shrink it). I like the hands on aspect.
We ran out of time to do the other project we had planned. You can see it here and print the templates to create your own. I think we'll be adding it to a future day of school.