This week we started "rowing" Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel with Happy & Miss H. They are really a lot of fun to do Five in a Row with.
Using resources at Homeschool Share we did:
- discussed steam power and put together this mini booklet (I let them color to their heart's content and then I cut and add glue while they stick it all down.) I wrote "What made Mary Ann go? Steam" on a sheet of card stock. They then glued this mini booklet on there.
- we put together this booklet too on different construction vehicles. This is a nice touch as Miss H's Dad works in construction.
- they colored their story disk and we added it to this map
- I read them a book called Construction by Gallimard Jeunesse & Philippe Biard (a fun book with overlays to show the construction process).
- I also read I Am a Dump Truck which Miss H took out of the library last week.
- We also did these vocabulary cards. I cut them out & we pasted them on a sheet of card stock. I wrote "Mike and Mary Ann used to dig canals for big boats." Then they pasted the canal photo. Then I wrote "They ended the book in the cellar of the Town Hall in Popperville." Then they pasted the cellar photo.
I don't remember if Conductor actually did school today. Based on his notebook I don't think he did his train study. And now that it's a week later, I can't remember what else he may have done.
Lego-Man started his "Further Up Further In" unit study. He wasn't all that pleased with the vocabulary section which occurs at the beginning of each new chapter. Today he did:
- vocabulary - wrote out definitions for about ten words
- read various Bible passages that went with the study (talked about temptation)
- began memorizing 1 Corinthians 10:13
- did the first lesson in the video Sequential Spelling (it was a freebie from Freebie of the Day a few weeks ago - we're just trying it out)
- Grammar (found a new workbook I'm going to have him work through)